Thursday, September 24, 2009

Fresh Halibut

Last night in Portland I did what I usually do when I get stressed out: cook dinner for my friends. I went to a local grocery store and found fresh, never frozen, line-caught halibut fillets on sale for $10 / lb. I decided I wanted to bake it with a sort of provencal medley of sweet onion, carrot, zucchini, leek, and basil. I remember serving halibut on a bed of mixed greens and artichoke / potato mash at Steps Wine Bar and wanted to replicate that. Instead of artichoke, I wanted parsnip. There were no parsnips available "yet" so I grabbed a healthy looking celeriac bulb and some sweet potatoes. The chaotic improvisation set in and I found myself with mashed rosemary sweet potato and a pile of raw shredded celeriac. Now what? Maybe I can fry this... potato pancake? Yes! I mixed it up with some seasoning, a couple eggs and a handful of bread crumbs. The veggies were diced small and sauteed in an iron skillet before being transferred to a glass casserole. I cut the halibut into portions, seasoned it, and seared the pieces skin-down for a couple minutes before placing them on the veggies in the casserole. I put this in a 325 F oven for a slow juicy finish while frying the potato pancakes. I made a fresh aioli with egg yolk, canola, garlic, lemon, and thyme. It was all served on a bed of greens and topped with a "salsa" of ripe yellow heirloom tomato and red pepper. Delicious. We ate at around 10pm, which has been my typical dinner time when I embark on these "projects". It's a really nice way to extend my welcome as a guest when I buy groceries and do some cooking. A part of me really just wants to design a self-sustaining way to travel, cooking wherever I go, and getting food, lodging and gas money in return. If I did this, it would have to be a show, a video blog of sorts. This is an ongoing fantasy, that perhaps, especially if my job-seeking luck is slow, will be realized.

2 comments:

  1. This sounds delicious! Are you sure biochemistry is the field for you? Sounds like cooking might be your true gift... Anyway, good luck on your journey. Thanks for keeping us posted. -Claudia

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been working on a design solution for the amount of miles that are put on food to get to the plate of an urban dweller. Aquaponic systems are awesome but they need to be developed further. An aquaponic system combines fish farming with hydroponics. The fish fill the water with nutriance (poop) that is easily harnessed by the plants. Then the filtered water is returned to the fish. This is a self sustaning system but has not been applied to a domestic setting. I want to deisng a system where you can harvest fish and veggies right in your living room. Elimating the food mile, reconnecting the consumer with their food, and providing healthy delicious food. But they require lights and pumps that can use a lot of energy.
    You should Check out the philips food probe which focuses on sustainable food design of the future.

    ReplyDelete